Thursday, August 25, 2005

East Chicago Waterway management District

Today I had my final interview for Director of the East Chicago Waterway Management District. This was after submitting my application more than 9 months previously - a long, long process - today they offered me the position. So now, I am responsible for prehaps the single most polluted body of water in the country, along with an equally polluted parcel of land. The only thing that comes to minds is "well, lets clean it up."

Here's the Times article by Steve Zabrooski New E.C. Waterway chief has homework to do

The difficulty with this offer is that during these pass 9 months I was in need of income. Despite being appointed to the Redevelopment commission and I chairing a committee to develop a Comprehensive Plan for the City, all without pay, I seemed to be locked out of consideration for any other position. In the mean time life goes on, and I needed to pick-up work, so I picked-up a consulting job in an area of work from a previous life, developing medical education software.

Despite an agreement with my wife that she would take time off from work to be with the kids for a few years, she also looked around for a position. To our slight surprise and her enormous credit she was offered a position teaching at the University of Chicago Lab School, a position she often dreamed of. This helps us enormously as it also offers the benefit of a good school for our children to attend, a major consideration. The only problem is that the opportunity came too soon. Opportunities just can not be planned. My wife was looking forward to being home more with the kids. It is just an opportunity she can't miss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home